Sunday, July 4, 2010

Life's Little Distractions....

Can make a whole big mess! So the story goes like this:


I was on the freeway going back to Fullerton after picking up my girls from their internships. I was in the carpool lane, which at first was very slow, but it started to pick up after while. I was relieved because I had one other girl to pick up and I didn't want to be late. So here I am driving in the carpool lane, the traffic is freeing up and I was talking to one of my girls in the front passenger seat about the day. All of a sudden a car merges illegally into the carpool lane and cuts me off! I raise my pointer finger, shake it and say "ILL-E-GAL" with as much attitude as I can muster [at this point it wasn't too difficult]. Evidently the guy saw this and decided to wave at me like he did nothing wrong. So we start talking about what had just happened and I am a little upset. I am going on about how rude the guy was and before I know it I missed my junction! To top it off as I was exiting, the car that cut me off decides to flip my girl off and then proceeds to tell her by drawing a heart with his fingers that he loves her... it was the most rude, weird and crazy person I have yet to encounter.


So I get off and turn back around on the freeway. I try to get onto the right freeway only to realize that there is no junction for the freeway that I want... so I have to end up taking a freeway that takes me in the opposite direction. I get off the first exit and turn left only to realize I should have gone right. I make a U-ee and finally get onto the right freeway only to find myself stuck in traffic again. By this time I am for sure going to be REALLY late. I am hoping my girl doesn't think I forgot about her, and the one time I DIDN'T bring my cell phone with me is the exact time that I needed it!! I got through traffic, made it to my destination and picked up my girl. All my girls were very patient and did so well waiting through all of this.


In all the midst of this there was one point in which I looked over to my girl and said "who knew that one little distraction could lead you so far from where you need to be" That's all it took. A guy cut me off and I dwelt on it too much and suddenly I find myself so far from my destination. Friends, isn't that how we get in our lives sometimes? We are going along on our journey, focused on what lies ahead and all of a sudden we get distracted. We dwell on it longer than we should and by the time we know it we are so far from where we are supposed to be. That little distraction has caused us to lose time, momentum, and distance.


Friends, I say all of this to say that I would like to encourage you to
"throw of everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."*
Even though it is easy at times to get distracted by certain things that happen in life, do not let them hinder you from fixing your eyes on Jesus and the path He has marked out for you. Stay focused on the course He has set your feet upon and put all of your energies into staying faithful to the course; for God will honor your faithfulness and you will be blessed my friends.


My prayer for you my dear ones:
May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever.
Amen**
*Hebrews 12:1-2
**Hebrews 13:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment